The bond between St. Patrick’s Kawese and St. Patrick’s Hollypark was further strengthened this year when a group of 8 teachers and volunteers made the journey to Kenya as part of the May 2018 Outreach group.
Particular highlights this year were:
- Teaching and learning in partnership with the staff and children of St. Patrick’s Kawese.
- Setting up the new 5 classrooms. Making new displays with art work sent from the boys of Hollypark and the pupils of Kawese. Creating a child centred layout with the new furniture most especially the new storage units funded by the recent 6th class students of St. Patrick’s B.N.S. Hollypark, in each classroom.
- Visiting the homes of some of the pupils of Kawese.
- Distributing resources and teaching materials donated by the staff, boys, and Board of Management of St. Patrick’s B.N.S Hollypark, Foxrock, Dublin.
- Meeting Dr. Vincent O’Neill, the Irish Ambassador to Kenya and the Representatives of the Dept. of Education at the Grand opening of Phase 3 of St. Patrick’s Kawese.
- Visiting local schools especially The Holy Ghost Secondary school in Sultan Hamud.
- And who could forget our daily journey to school through the floods each day, on foot, even with an ox cart or two!
The Kenyan Child Foundation is humbled by the commitment of the wonderful volunteers in the May 2018 group. Their engagement, time, energy and dedication to the project is admirable.
We thank them for their hard work and inspiration during the fundraising campaigns and preparations for the trip.
We are grateful for their good humour, kindness and resilience during the trip this May. We wish them every success in their future endeavours and hope that they will someday return to Kenya.
The children of Kawese, their families and their futures have been forever changed by their hard work and example.
We couldn’t have done it without you.
Go raibh Mile Maith Agaibh.
Hurray for our magnificent teachers:
A poem by the pupils of Standard 5
The most inspiring people we have ever met. They have shaped our minds and our futures.
They have given us guidance. They have made a difference in our lives.
They have given us courage. They have made our minds better.
Our teachers, our role models.
They have given us confidence. They have made a difference in our lives.
We thank you. You have increased the magnificence of learning knowledge and wisdom in us.
We don’t know how to express our gratitude for all you have done for us.
We absolutely must say thank you. Hurray for you.
Our magnificent teachers, thank you.